I must admit: Before signing up for this course, I had many reservations and concerns about my experience in this class. Personally, I'm not very computer literate. I just upgraded to a new iPhone despite my urge to go back to a basic feature phone (already knowing I will not use it to the fullest capacity), and I am entirely not sure how I feel about integrating technology as an everyday tool in the classroom.
In the beginning of the course, I felt a huge schism between the class readings and my personal opinions. In Leading 21st Century Schools by Lynne Schrum and Barbara B. Levin (2009), the first chapter made me feel out of the loop as an educator, and I'm a relatively new graduate from a school of education. With a call to redefine literacy and knowledge to include technology (p. 10-12), I was afraid of many things:
1. How can I teach children technologies that I'm not familiar with myself? Where will I find the time to learn the technologies and then find a way to make the directions understandable to the children?
2. What if the children are already more fluent than I am with technology. How does that change the flow of my planned lessons? Does it become the children waiting for me to catch up in the classroom?
3. With the new standards and 21st century skills set in place (such as the National Technology Standards for Students [p. 14, Schrum & Levin, 2009]), where do we find the time to address those in addition to the current core curriculum content standards and preparation for testing?
4. Is it really O.K. to expose the children to different technologies at such a young age (with my interest in pre-K through 2nd grade)?
5. What if screen time (television, video games, movies) is suggested to be reduced at younger ages? Where do we draw the line with the various technologies? Do we make exceptions for computers? Do we push for technology mastery over other skills such as language and math?
6. How do we help divide how children treat technology in the classroom (education and research) from how they use it at home (entertainment)? How can we still make the use of technology interesting compared to the use of it at home?
I had these pedagogy related questions looming in my head even before considering my ability to use and master the technology I could hypothetically use in my classroom. If you ask any of my close friends or co-workers, my decision for a new smart phone was a long and tedious process. I was skeptical of my ability to use it to its fullest capacity, I hated and barely understood the hand-me-down smart phone I had at the time, I wasn't sure if I needed all the bells and whistles that would be on my new phone; I couldn't see myself with something that fancy. My friend joked with me all the time, "Amanda, you're the first person I know who would say, 'Woah, woah...I don't need innovation...'" and that I sounded like a grandmother who stumbled upon her grandchild's phone, not knowing what to do. This is me at 25 years old, and I'm afraid of new waves of technology. How can I expect myself to educate others when I am doubtful that I can be educated in technology?
Thus far, I cannot say that my questions and concerns have been entirely calmed yet. I have seen how some individual, more familiar pieces of Web 2.0 can be used as tools to have students communicate among each other and to reach audiences past the classroom. I have also been required to design a web/resource page for a classroom that although I feel looks good on paper (or rather, Word Document), will work out on the web design page. Lastly, through assignments thus far, I feel hat I am being as creative as I can on how to use technology as a tool rather than the main event in lesson plans, to make lessons become more vibrant but still with a purpose. It has been a challenge trying to change my personal and educational technology outlook thus far, but I hope that I can keep moving on with the help of peers. That's what Web 2.0 is all about anyways, right? Instant communication and collaboration?
I hear everything that you are saying! I too am 25 and tend to go kicking and screaming into anything technology. When I have a problem with something on my computer/phone/printer, I wait until the next time I see my brother, and then hand it over with the simple direction, “fix this.” He doesn’t want to show me how he fixes it and, quite frankly, I don’t care to learn. The idea of this class was totally overwhelming to me. I too worry that my students, even at 8-years-old, are light years ahead of me in relation to their knowledge of technology. BUT, I have so far found that I can learn and do all of this, but it takes baby steps. Start slow, build your knowledge. And as much as I don’t really care how to fix my computer, I know that it’s a skill that has become important in this day and age, so I learn (more than just ctl+alt+delete!). Slowly things that I dreaded become second nature. While I do not think technology will ever be one of my passions, I know that I owe it to my students to stay in the know.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about the smartphones. For me it's not about not knowing how to use one but more about the invasion of my privacy. While I'm at work, I constantly check my email to make sure I answer students questions as soon as I can. When I plan my lessons, I try to incorporate the newest technology (discussions, smart pens you name it). But when I go home, I don't want the constant Facebook updates, the constant emails (even if they are important, they can wait), I just want my time...and if I CHOOSE to get on the computer and check these things it's my choice but to have the constant updates. I tend to be more open minded in terms of technology use in the classroom and a lot more closed minded in my own life. I have a nook but I prefer to read real books (how else would I be able to have a library one day in my future house!).
ReplyDeleteYou ask so many great questions! Numbers 2 and 6, in particular, speak directly to my own concerns: How will I appear to my students if they know more about technology than I? I know from experience that it is quite embarrassing when a six-year-old knows more about your iPhone than you do. I can only imagine what it will be like to have a classroom full of technology masters staring at me sideways because I cannot properly use the classroom SmartBoard. I can recall looking at my own teachers quizzically because they were unable to get the projector screen focused, which to us, was an easy feat. Additionally, taking one course on technology use in the classroom will not, under any circumstances, make me an expert on technology. After all, technology changes daily! It is almost impossible to find the time to keep up with it. Things are made easy on an iPhone when it sends you recommended updates for your apps, but I’m sure other forms of technology do not come with this convenient reminder.
ReplyDeleteAs for question 6, I have discussed this issue in my Teaching English Language Learns course. Where do we, as classroom teachers, draw the line between technology for educational purposes and technology for entertainment purposes? The issue we discussed in class had to do with using technology to help English Language Learners become proficient in English. In the case that the district does not allocate for technology funds, do we allow students to bring their personal technology to school? Can we block certain websites on their devices? What is being said about students’ privacy to their own devices and teacher liability for broken/stolen devices? It is all so complicated; yet, we will be facing these issues on a daily basis. AS you said, my concerns have not been calmed yet either…
I am so like you in respect to technology! I'm still learning how to use my Iphone which I too fought getting. But it is actually quite convenient. Alot of your fear and 'inconvenience' feeling towards technology stems from simply not knowing how to use it. And this was the right course for you! I think once you learn some more, you will actually have fun integrating technology into your classroom. Just think of all those little students of yours in awe of what they have just seen and learned!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love the title of your blog...One of the main reason in a recent survey on barriers to use of technology in classroom was fear of loosing the control. Just like what you mention in q2. Teachers fear that when it comes to technology they might not hold the center position in the classroom and may not be the sole information provider.
DeleteApart from external factors like pedagogy of technology and access issues , the other reason of not using technology may be internal( Like you point out in your blog). Here, I feel confronting one's own beliefs and perceptions on technology through introspection can prove to be useful.
Cheshta